On 06/03/2012 10:12, mehdi houshmand wrote:
I fat-fingered the reply button instead of reply-to-all... *face-palm*

Mehdi, Craig,
<snip/>

- Anything in the proposed XSL-FO 2.0 feature list (though most of it won't
be realistic for GSoC projects);

- Merge fop-pdf-image and implement smart merging of font, profile, and
image resources. I'm working on this one at the moment, but slowly and only
amid other projects.
I really don't think that's a suitable project, I responded to your
post so maybe we could take this conversation else where, but this
really isn't FOPs responsibilty, or for that matter the
pdf-image-plugin. If anything, I'd argue that's a PDFBox project,
Adobe Acrobat Pro does this kind of thing (badly may I add) as a
post-process action and I think that's the correct way to do it. The
other thing to say is that a new comer may not appreciate the
importance of fidelity when fonts are concerned. Basically it's too
difficult for a student given a few months and no previous experience.
Sorry Mehdi I don't agree. I think this would be a great project. Craig already outlined what needs to be done and theres a lot of stuff in XGC and FOP as well as the plug-in. I'm not sure anything is needed in PDF-Box, but even if it then is an Apache project too and the student can submit patches there. Adobe Acrobat may make some assumptions that don't always hold true, but our customers are crying out for FOP to create smaller PDF files when importing multiple PDF images with embedded fonts. This also feels reasonable well defined thanks to Craig's list of TODOs and feels like it can be done in 3 months. It gets a +1 from me.

Thanks,

Chris

--
Craig Ringer