On 03/05/2012 09:35 PM, mehdi houshmand wrote:
Because of the overwhelming popularity of this idea, I've created a
link on the Wiki
(http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/GoogleSummerOfCode2012) for
the GSoC proposals.

Things that come to mind for me:

- PDFBox backend (probably ideal for GSoC, nice and self contained, great for someone who knows PDFBox and wants to learn fop's codebase);

- CID fonts in PostScript (good for someone who knows PS and fonts, not necessarily XSL-FO so much);

- Using automatic +- kerning, +- tracking *and* +- horizontal type scaling adjustment to better auto-fit text, involving support for font-stretch property. This touches on layout so it may not be practical for a 1st fop project, but may not be too bad since fop already adjusts tracking when justifying text. The key interest points would be *negative* tracking, kerning and (if nothing else works) glyph-scaling for tighter type-fitting where it's not desirable to break to a new line due to widow/orphan policy or because it'd create large holes. This is particularly important when long unbreakable words must fit a fixed width space.

- PDF/X-1a with CMYK;

- Anything in the proposed XSL-FO 2.0 feature list (though most of it won't be realistic for GSoC projects);

- Merge fop-pdf-image and implement smart merging of font, profile, and image resources. I'm working on this one at the moment, but slowly and only amid other projects.

--
Craig Ringer