On 05/03/2012 16:18, mehdi houshmand wrote:
Hi Alex/Glenn,

Hi guys,

I agree that there may be some good project ideas in the bug list, but I don't think the one Alex highlighted is a good one. Changing the layout algorithm is a major undertaking, probably several man years :) We need to find something small and well defined for a GSoC project, something that we know can be completed in 2-3 months.

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah that's a fair point, I think this may be a textbook case of
Freudian projection, so my apologies if those weren't your intentions
Glenn.

The problem is, I don't have a great deal of experience in the Layout
Engine and I really have no grounds to put a proposal together. I've
put forward the projects that I know about and think are interesting.
If you want to put a project proposal forward please do, if no one
else steps forward as a mentor and an applicant takes an interest,
I'll make the effort to learn the code.

Mehdi

On 5 March 2012 15:48, Alexios Giotis<alex.gio...@gmail.com>  wrote:
I don't think that Glenn's idea is that bad. FOP's open bugzilla issues are not
only bugs, they also show what are the areas that FOP needs to be improved. If
we start from the beginning, then

| 1063|New|Nor|2001-03-21|fop does not handle large fo files

is a real, very interesting issue and the solution is not to increase the Java
heap size. There are workarounds such as caching objects but a good solution
might be deeper in FOP's  layout engine. What about checking or implementing
Donald Knuth's first-fit or best-fit algorithms ? In theory, it would allow to
free FO tree and layout manager objects after the end of every page.

There was a recent discussion about this, see
http://apache.markmail.org/message/3ejv4opwcceipfpl?q=list:org%2Eapache%2Exmlgraphics%2Efop-users+total+best+fit

Of course there will be drawbacks, FOP is complex (more complex than it should
be in my opinion, cleanup / modularization would help) and this is not a simple
task.

Alex Giotis