On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Pascal Sancho <psancho....@gmail.com>wrote:

> IMHO, using a bugtracker system to list bugfix or changes is a good idea.
> But today, the practice in FOP project is to fill this list directly
> in the cited page.
> We can adopt a new policy here and have a change/bugfix list using
> bugtracker facilities.
> That could be done when we'll migrate to Jira.
> IIUC, Bugzilla entries will be migrated to Jira in the future.
> Waiting this migration, we can today begin to systematically fill a
> new Bugzilla entry, to keep trace in Jira.

Thanks, yes, I agree with this, but I don't think I'm suggesting a new
policy. We have a policy today of telling the community to report bugs in
BZ, then we make fixes and close (or reject) those bug reports, where fixes
change the code base and the bug is closed and a entry made in status.xml.

When we committers make changes that are essentially bug fixes (as opposed
to minor cleanup), then we should not bypass this existing, accepted
practice, because doing so creates unnecessary exceptions in our
documentation and process trail. In other words, let's be consistent, and
document bugs we fix independently in the same fashion as when those bugs
are first reported by the community.

I think this is a reasonable process and should not be contravened for the
sake of expediency.

G.