A change log or "release notes" can be generated by Jira [1]. For example, [2]
is the release notes for Apache PDFBox 1.7. Bug or issue titles (at least) tend
to be better, if it is known that the change log is generated by such a system.
Glenn wrote very good points. It will help the FOP community if everybody is
recording in BZ or Jira substantial changes, whether this is an existing
practice or not.

[1] https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Release+Notes
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310760&version=12316940