I think that you are right about being a sister project to FOP within XMLGraphics.

The discussion from everyone has been very helpful even if the writer was negative to the idea.

//I would be happy to see some interaction in a number of areas.
a) Clearly, the DITA group should be pushing for the FOP features that are required to produce the documents that can be described in DITA. b)I think that the current Apache members could make positive suggestions about the processing and structure of the DITA toolkit. c) The DITA language specification is constantly undergoing updates and there are likely things that current FOP users could suggest as additions to allow them to use a standard language to author documents. d) The users of the DITA tool kit need some customization of FOP configuration to produce nice looking documents and there is likely a lot of experts here that could be engaged to do these projects.

Ron