I tested the code with some examples from a weekly newsletter that I receive -- this is a good example because the newsletter is always created using the same template and the same set of fonts (with a few exceptions).

The code worked mostly well but the output was not perfect with some of the fonts, where some glyphs were missing of misplaced (causing overlap). So there is still work to be done. Nevertheless, and since the feature is disabled by default, I think there is value in merging this to trunk because it does work in many situations. Besides I don't know if the problem is due to this patch or to PDFBox. Hence +1.

Note: I will send the examples directly to Simon.