yah i've looked at cocoon, and sorry to say but i'm not interested.

tag extension, which jsp does okay but not great, is what i want to "separate logic from presentation". i can pipe and do even more amazing stuff with cleverly designed tags and a slightly hacked tomcat.

i just wish the servlet API didn't have such weird holes and that java wasn't so schizo about bytes/chars.