I agree with Bertrand - Cocoon is an excellent framework in which to
generate xml and pipe it into FOP.

IMHO the most convenient way to integrate an xml generator with Cocoon is to
write your xml generator as an ordinary http servlet, then you can integrate
it with Cocoon without any further java programming, and without having to
implement any special Cocoon interfaces, so the learning curve is nice and
easy. And of course, http is a nice standard interface that you can access
with many other tools as well.

Cocoon allows you to define a "pipeline" of step-by-step xslt
transformations, xincludes, etc, that eventually produce a fo document, and
then serialize it through FOP. You can also access the .fo document from
Cocoon, or any intermediate documents, which is useful for debugging.

Con