I just figured it out. I found cases where the problem didn't occur, and
then worked backwards. It was because I was using a fractional point size
for my fonts.

When I first tried a fractional size (10.5pt) I had observed that the text
was coming out smaller and deduced the point size was being rounded down
to the nearest integer. I figured that was the end of it and left the font
sizes specified that way. Eventually, the fix would catch up with the
template, right?

However, the other *side effect* of having a real number point size for a
font is the massive problems with inline blocks and font styles that I
observed. That, and a margin jump.

Once I put the font size back to an integer, everything became "normal" -
though I still notice a very slight, almost imperceptible variation along
the right margin of justified text, the output is fine.

I have the beginnings of a picture in my head about what was going on
inside the renderer, but I won't bore the crowd with speculation. At any
rate, problem "solved."  :)

Thanks for your responses Jeremias.

-David