To top all: it is even quite simple.
For a project we had to produce MS Excel files fromXML, using XSLT.
As we didn't have a clue about Microsoft formats etc we figured: why
not produce this ghastly MS-HTML and see what that does for us?

If you simply save an existing Word  document as HTML you get a header
you can use with XSLT and then it is simply a matter of transforming your
document to HTML. You'll need a couple of namespaces but they're in the
saved header too.

Works like a charm and even allows a lot of stuff in Excel and Word. Not
sure
whether it wil beat RTF feature wise but you can do a lot without having to
wade
through RTF specs :-)

HTH,

Michiel