The XML line

        <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
href="file:///D:/XML/ccr_fo.xsl"?>

tells IE 6.0 to run the XSL file D:/XML/ccr_fo.xsl on the current XML
file and display the output (we are talking pure client-side here).

Is there a line that could be added to an XML file that would trigger a
piece of javascript or some sort of piece of java code? You can tell I'm
not a java developer. For example, maybe if the file type was changed to
e.g. "bin/java" or something. The java script could then act as a
wrapper for the entire FOP process of running the stylesheet and
converting to PDF.

I know this idea may be a bit ahead of its time, but wouldn't it be
nice...

If I find anything on this topic, do any of you want to know about it?