Henrik,

There is no way to do what you want in FO in one pass. What you'll need to do is generate the fo: document with some marked up place holders in it. Something like <fo:block placeholder="PutTotalPagesHere"/>. Then run that document through an XSLT transformation that adds up the total number of pages and replaces those special blocks with the information you want. (You'll see this technique referred to in the archives as "Making a second pass" over the document.) You can then use FOP to generate the output you want.

Chuck