I recommend you don't build XSL:FO through Java code directly. Produce a
simple XML format with just the data in it. Use a XSLT stylesheet
afterwards to convert the XMl to XSL:FO. It sounds like a lot of work,
but you're actually going to save time. For example, if your layout has
to change you have to adjust your Java code, recompile, redeploy. If
you're working with XSLT you can use some external XML tool, and you
just have to switch the stylesheet if something changes in the layout.

The whole idea about XSL (XSLT+XSL:FO) is separation of data/layout. You
will be a lot more flexible that way! Just imagine you want to generate
HTML or SVG instead of XSL:FO. This way, you (only) have to switch
stylesheets. Your way means writing the Java classes that produce the
XML all over again.

> This is not exactly what I mean. I don't have XML data documens, I'm trying
> to build a pure XSL:FO document through code, not transform an existing XML
> to FO. It will go like this:
> Data (from DB) --(Java code)--> FO document --(render with FOP)--> PDF
>
> Any clue?

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch