From: Bob Leif
To: Matt Savino et al.

I believe that, "good Ada app-server", is covered by the following
abbreviated version of a posting from Pascal Obry, which I received from
Team-Ada. Since JGNAT is an Ada compiler that produces J codes, you may
not need a translator. Parenthetically, I have nothing against J codes.
I believe that the translators from Java to Ada do exist and suggest
that you post to Team-Ada to obtain more information. However if I
remember correctly, direct translation from Java to Ada produces code
that has a large number of pointers, which are not normally present in
Ada code.

Since Quest Diagnostics produces medical software, you will find the
high level of safety associated with a validated Ada compiler to be
suitable for a regulated industry. I will gladly send you some of my
publications that are in PDF form.
Pascal Obry [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A W S - Ada Web Server
                            1.2 release / SOAP 0.9

Authors:
   Dmitriy Anisimkov
   Pascal Obry                                               April 29th,
2002,

Dmitriy Anisimkov and I are very happy to announce the availability of
the AWS 1.2 release. The API could change slightly at this stage but
should be fairly stable now.

AWS stand for Ada Web Server. It is not a real Web Server like Apache.
It is a small yet powerful HTTP component to embedded in any
applications. It means that you can communicate with your application
using a standard Web browser and this without the need for a Web Server.
AWS is fully developed in Ada with GNAT.

AWS support SOAP, Server Push, HTTPS/SSL, client HTTP, hotplug
modules... We have worked very hard to make this release as stable as
possible. Note that Hotplug modules are very nice but have a potentially
security hole as it is implemented today. A new secure implementation
will be proposed in a future version.

The SOAP implementation has been validated on
http://validator.soapware.org/.

Pointers:
---------

AWS User's Mailing List:

AWS Home Page (sources and documentation):
   http://libre.act-europe.fr/

Templates_Parser sources:
   Templates_Parser module (sources and documentation) is provided with
AWS
   distribution. Latest version of this module and the documentation can
be
   found at:

   http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html
   http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/templates_parser.html

   Templates_Parser is a very useful add-on for AWS. You should have a
look at
   it if you plan to develop a Web service. Templates_Parser permits to
   completely separate the HTML design from the Ada code.

   Some other Templates engine are WebMacro, FreeMarker, PHP, ASP, JSP
and
   Velocity. All of them are based on explicit iterators (#foreach with
   variable) where Templates_Parser is based on implicit ones (you use a
more
   intuitive table iterator). Be sure to check the documentation. Only
   the Velocity project has the goal to support complete separation of
HTML
   design and code.

GNU/Ada - GNAT
   You need at least version 3.14 to use AWS 1.2.

   ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

XMLada (optional):
   You need this library only if you want to use AWS SOAP feature. You
need
   at least XMLada 0.7.1.

   http://libre.act-europe.fr/

Socket binding:
   Since AWS 1.2 you need at least version 1.0 of the Socket binding.

   for Win32:
      http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html
      http://vagul.tripod.com/adasockets.tgz

   for UNIX:
      http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/adasockets

POSIX Binding (optional) :..........(Truncated)