>Odd. Did you try to call the same java command as in the .bat
>file directly on the command line?

It's actually too long for the good old DOS command line, but when I added
the jar files to my CLASSPATH (before the existing entries) so that I
wouldn't have to include their names on the command file and then tried the
equivalent from the command line, I got the same result.

>Is there some interference from some other Java executable
>possible?

I tried blowing away my CLASSPATH and still got the same result. Is there
any other way to check for this?

thanks,

Bob