Not sure, that's some control character, "Device Control 3", but certanly it's illegal charcter in xml 1.0 document (afaik, it's legal for xml 1.1).

Xiao Yang wrote:
Dear Oleg

your right, the apos is ok.  but I could have swore
the apos was causing the error before.  However, I got
this error in one of the transformation.  do you know
what character &#x19 is?

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Illegal XML
character:  .

thanks
pauli

--- Oleg Tkachenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Xiao Yang wrote:

I am using FOP to transform some bio into pdf

format.

FOP generates an error when it encounters an

illegal

character such as the apostrophe "'".  Where can I
find a list of illegal characters that FOP does

not

accept? I need to replace the illegal character

with

their numeric entity reference.

What is exactly the error? Apostrophe is not an
illegal character at all, but as it's used in xml markup to delimit attribute
values, it's kinda special.
And you don't need numeric entity reference, because
&apos; is predefined entity. See xml spec for more details: http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#syntax

--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn International Ltd, Israel