From: J.Pietschmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 4:51 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Embedded FOP question.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've been using the FopServlet as the basis for my servlet app which takes
> DOM document, stores it to an xml file, then uses XSLTInputHandler to
> convert to fo and output the pdf.  Now I'm getting to the point where I
want
> to eliminate the xml file and convert using the DOM object or a serialized
> string of the xml.  It looks to me like it can't be done with the
> XSLTInputHandler class because it requires java.io.File parameters.  I'm
> looking at XSLTransform to transform the DOM document input to a DOM
> document containing FO output using the xsl file.  Just wondering if this
is
> the best approach and then how to best use the FO DOM document to output
the
> pdf.  If anyone knows where I can find some good sample code (or if you
have
> a sample yourself), I would appreciate the tips.

There is sample code in the archive at
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&r=1&w=2#
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&r=1&w=2#

For producing and rendering a DOM, look up
  javax.xml.transform.dom.DOMResult
in the JAXP documentation coming with your XSLT processor
and look for render(Document) in
  src/org/apache/fop/apps/Driver.java

Unless you need to manipulate the intermediate DOM,
it is usually more effective to use SAX to tie the
XSLT processor to the FOP driver, for example
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=102400770318682&w=2