Unfortunately we're in a non Java environment here. We've got to work with a
couple of developers who
have no clue as to what they are doing but are considered "essential" to the
project. Any necessary changes
in the "xml" are non negatioable :-(

As the actual content is stored in an attribute (sheesh, go figure, 10+
lines of PCDATA in an attribute
of a text-block element!) we cannot perform a general search-and-replace
(for instance using AWK) before we
parse the documetn (XML cannot contain "<" in attributes).

I guess we'll just build a preprocessor using XSLT and transform the "xml"
to a fo file and then feed this
to fop.