Joel Gwynn wrote:

Well, since you asked ... I uploaded the files to my server for perusal,
just in case you're interested.  These are the files from the
quark.avenue tutorial.  http://joelman.com/avenue-xml/

Well that's not a bad format, xml + css, but unfortunaly css in not xml hence one can say it's browser oriented format. If you want to process it by xslt the main burden is css parsing. I developed such stuff recently, but that was for a commercial project and I cannot share the code. The main idea is to write URIResolver, which reads css file, parses it somehow, e.g. using w3c's SAC (Simple API for CSS) and represents css in xml format, e.g. each selector is element and each propery is its attribute. Then you can use such URIResolver from within xsl stylesheet and generate xsl-fo attributes from css properties (they happily almost coincide).
I mean
xml
<head_L1>avenue.quark White Paper</head_L1>

css
head_L1  {
        font-size : 18pt;
        font-family : Arial;
        font-weight : Bold;
        color : Blue;
        background-color : Aqua;
        display : block;
        line-height : 40pt;
}

xsl:
<xsl:template match="head_L1">
        <fo:block>
                <xsl:copy-of select="document('css:my-css-name')/head_L1/@*"/>
                <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

result:

<fo:block font-size="18pt"
        font-family="Arial"
        font-weight="Bold"
        color="Blue"
        background-color="Aqua"
        display="block"
        line-height="40pt">
        ...content...
</fo:block>

It's feasible but requires a lot of careful work. I'd suggest you to look around for another quark export tool, which doesn't use css but pure xml, that would be big relief, e.g. google pointed out to http://www.attd.com.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team