Thanks for the idea Oscar.  I think that would work, if indeed I was only
having problems with columns of numbers.  Unfortunately, that was just one
example.  I am the downstream recipient of a big blob of text that I am trying
to print with it's original look and feel.  My actual data are medical reports
that include a variety of non-predictable spacing.  Things like columns
containing alphabetic data nested to the right side of wrapping text, borders
built with dashes and pipes, non-uniform paragraph indentation.

Jim

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/19/2002 8:34:42 AM >>>

>contains very precise spacing.  For example, I might have a column of numbers
>such as:
>   9.5
>  17.23
>1492.1
>that I need to line up on the decimal point.
>
>Does anyone have any advice how I can get my fixed-width fonts to truly be
>rendered as fixed-width, without an intermediate PDF file?

Jim,

you could try another approach (as i do myself in our chemical analysis
reporting).
Devide the numbers in two parts: one containing the part before the
decimal point and one containing the rest. Use two columns in your table
for these devided results, the left one with the text aligned to the
right and the right one with the text aligned to the left.

Oscar