Thanks for the tip. The table solution worked. I should have looked at the
FAQ myself.

The only thing that is somewhat unaesthetic about the solution is that I
have to use fixed heights for the table rows. Is there also a solution for this?

Thanks again,
--Stefan

        <fo:table table-layout="fixed" width="100%">
          <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
          <fo:table-body>
            <fo:table-row height="99mm">
              <fo:table-cell display-align="center">
                <fo:block>1</fo:block>