not being even vaguely concerned about embarrassing myself, several
questions about JAI/JIMI usage with FOP.

1) from what i read, both JIMI and JAI are graphics libraries, so only
   one is necessary.  in addition, it *appears* that JAI is the newer
   technology and, if it's feasible, it's the preferred package.
   (that is, JAI will eevntually obsolete JIMI, or am i reading that
   incorrectly?)

2) i downloaded the latest JAI tarball from sun, and all it contains
   is three .jar files, and a shared library.  following my standard
   practice, i copied those jar files to a standard jarfile directory
   i maintain, and added all of them to my CLASSPATH.  (i realize that
   the usage instructions suggest copying those files under fop/lib,
   but it's not clear to me *why* that would make a difference, given
   what i read in fop.sh)

3) regarding the shared lib, i copied it to the same location and
   added that directory name to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  (the JAI install
   instructions are unspeakably badly written -- at one point, they
   instruct the user to add the entire java CLASSPATH to the
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which doesn't seem at all necessary).

   at this point, based on what i've read, i would now be considered
   to have installed JAI, no?  and in such a way that FOP would be
   able to find it.

4) when i try to transform my .fo to .pdf, eventually i get the
   message:

   [INFO] Failed to load JAI, using Jimi instead

   what does this mean?  does it mean that FOP simply couldn't
   find the JAI jar files, or that it found them but, perhaps
   because of a misconfiguration on my part, couldn't load the
   appropriate classes?  it's pretty crucial to know which of
   those errors is being identified here.

  so ... what have i pooched completely here?  enquiring minds
want to know.

rday