Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Copying them to fop/lib is important because you have to make sure FOP
> is compiled using JAI support. If you compile FOP yourself (means: you
> don't use the binary distribution) you have to put the two files above
> in fop/lib so the Ant build process installs JAI support in the first
> place. If you don't do that you get the error message in 4). The error
> message is misleading, however. So I changed it in CVS. FOP 0.20.5 will
> have a better error message.
>
> A comment concerning the CLASSPATH environment variable: Due to bad
> experiences in the past, many Java developers discourage the use of the
> CLASSPATH variable. Always using -cp is much safer as soon as you have
> more than one Java application on your workstation. On my machine, for
> example, the CLASSPATH variable is non-existent.

So my "99% sure" comment was in error. Just to be clear, the fundamental
problem that Robert needs to address is that it would appear that he has
done a local build without JAI support (as discussed in the related thread).
If so, he should first rebuild FOP, preferably following the instructions,
or alternatively by modifying the build.xml file to include the JAI jar
files into the build. Any changes to the CLASSPATH or -cp are of secondary
importance, and will not fix that fundamental problem (although Jeremias's
advice sounds like "best practice" to me).

Victor Mote