On 15.05.2003 19:22:42 Brian Lynn wrote:
> I'm having a couple of problems with FOP, used to render some big files
> with lots of SVGs.
>
> 1) Hanging
>
> In Java 1.3 (but not 1.4), after finishing rendering the document FOP
> fails to stop, after printing out the message:
> "Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer"
>
> It just hangs there forever, but the document has been generated
> correctly, and just ctrl-C'ing out will stop it.  Works fine in 1.4.
>
> I think this may be related to the SVGs, because seems to happen only
> with the docs with SVGs.
>
> Here are my command lines (I'm using XP, sorry) - you can see the exact
> versions from there:
>
> set JAVA_HOME=\JRE\1.3.1_07
> rem uncomment following line for Java 1.4
> rem set JAVA_HOME=\j2sdk1_4_1_01\jre
> set JAVAEXE= %JAVA_HOME%\bin\java
>
> set
> FOPCLASSPATH=%FOPBASEDIR%\build\fop.jar;%LIBDIR%\batik-fixed.jar;%LIBDIR
> %\xalan-2.4.1.jar;%LIBDIR%\xercesImpl-2.2.1.jar;%LIBDIR%\xml-apis.jar;%L
> IBDIR%\avalon-framework-cvs-20020806.jar
>
> set FOPMAXMEM=-Xmx300m
> set FOPINITMEM=-Xms100m
> set FOP=%JAVAEXE% %FOPINITMEM% %FOPMAXMEM% -cp %FOPCLASSPATH%
> org.apache.fop.apps.Fop -c scripts\fopconfig.xml
>
> Seems like a problem stopping a thread.  Any solution for Java 1.3?
> Maybe a different version of a jar file?

I've tried to reproduce with JDK 1.3.1_05 and 1.3.1_08. No luck. I've
used your comp00001.svg with external-graphic and
instream-foreign-object.

Try running FOP with "-d" to receive additional debug output. Maybe this
helps identifying the problem on your side.

I got the following error message whe rendering your attached SVG:
[ERROR] svg graphic could not be built: file:/D:/FOP/temp/bugs/BrianLynn/:-1
An I/O error occured while processing the URI
'#e:restructuringType/a:restructuringScheme' specified on the element <rect>

After I changed '#e:restructuringType/a:restructuringScheme' to
'#e-restructuringType/a-restructuringScheme' the error went away. Don't
know why.

Does the hand only happen if you process big files or also with small
files?

> 2) Font selection
>
> I've set the "strokeSVGText" attribute to false in my fopconfig.xml file
> in order to use built-in fonts for my SVGs.  My SVGs (which are
> generated by Turbo XML) internally define styles using
> helvetica  (see attached).
> But when I run fop, I get error messages saying that font
> "Arial,normal,normal" (or sometimes "dialog, normal, normal" is unknown.
> It then defaults to a serif font.  Anyone know how to fix this?

The attached comp00001.svg doesn't seem to be the cause of this problem
because I didn't have that problem. Maybe you have some other SVG or
XSL-FO code that uses Arial or a default font. That could explain it.
Standard procedure to track down the culprit: Comment out portions of
your XSL-FO and SVG code to see if the error goes away. Gradually circle
in until you hit home.

Jeremias Maerki