On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 23:32, Fleetwood, Brett (SSABSA) wrote:
> Thanks for you response John, hopefully I can answer your questions. From
> what I understand, we have a web-based application that uses Linux
> Apache-Tomcat as the web-server to do the rendering. This is a decent
> machine and we have allocated extra memory (approx 1Gb) but being a web-app
> possibly many users can request data to be rendered into PDF at the same
> time therefore I need to keep things as small as possible. I'm not sure
> throwing more resources at it will ultimately fix it, I think that the
> actual XSL needs to change or possibly use a different rendorer.
>
> Has anyone had experience in setting up a machine to solely perform
> transformations?

I asked about memory on the machine and about the command line arguments
used to invoke your environment as a sanity-check to make sure that your
Java VM (in this case Tomcat ?) is configured with a large enough heap
to support your program. It could explain why your application runs out
of heap. There are reasons WHY it requires this much memory, that we
don't want to go in to here.

Simply plugging in a few memory cards isn't enough. Java has to know the
size of the heap (free store) that it is allowed to create. For the Sun
Java, use the commands: "java -j"  and "java -X" to see the options.

In Tomcat 5, you could use the environment variable JAVA_OPTS to pass
in a value for -Xmx, say "JAVA_OPTS=-Xmx800M" to  allow an 800 Mb heap.

This isn't a perfect solution, but it could help you get to the next
level and keep you alive while you consider your commercial options.

--
John Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>