Dennis Myrén wrote:
However, I started trying just to get the background color to be applied across
all regions, and I have not succeeded.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong with this simple document.
Only the region-body region gets blue background color.

Your region-before and -after have no extent, i.e. they get an extent of zero. You'll have to defione a region-start and -end as well.

Which output format are you using? Measurements in px should not
be used except for bitmapped output formats.

J.Pietschmann