-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas L. Delmelle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<snip />

I'm also thinking... Currently FOP 0.20.5 produces PDF conforming
to the 1.3 Specification (Acrobat 4.0) --maybe that version still
lacks the necessary commands to make it 'commentable' by Reader 7.0
(= PDF version 1.6) (? long shot)

Not so long, it seems. Yep! The Adobe Reader 7.0 Help mentions 'additional usage rights' which need to be added by Adobe server products --of course ;-)

AFAICT from the PDF Reference v1.6, these 'additional usage rights' only
show up in the context of the 'UR' transform method --never mind the
technical details, this method is closely linked to an entry in the PDF
document catalog --named 'Perms'-- which was added with PDF v1.5.

Seems like it can be done, but it's going to take some ingenuity, and some
people with a lot of time on their hands... (as that would mean a rather
thorough revision of our most current PDF lib, IIC)

And then, there's always the question if Adobe's going to like this
functionality becoming freely available... (?)
It does seem to be one of those features that should persuade one to buy
'Acrobat 7.0 or one of their server products'

Greetz,

Andreas

-- Datalucid Limited 8 Eileen Road South Norwood London SE25 5EJ / tel :0208-239-6810 mob: 0794-725-9760 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / UK Co. Reg: 4383635 VAT Reg.: 798 7531 60