Roland Neilands wrote:
I have also seen logos disappear when the logo itself was much bigger
than the block-container and it spat the dummy rather than scale the
image down. I think that was only on certain image types (jpg?).

IIRC the image scaling code uses the available space in the page body as the maximum heigth of the image, regardless whether the image is actually placed in static content. The static content is processed after the flow in the body, and if the current page has been completely filled, images in static content may be scaled down to zero or nearly zero height. That's why it is always a good idea to provide width and height for images explicitly.

J.Pietschmann