On 01.09.2005 06:25:54 Daniel Noll wrote:
> Melih Ovadya wrote:
>
> >Thank you Jeremias, I followed the instructions and now I can make it work
> >by embedding the font in the document.
> >
> >Looking at the samples in userconfig.xml, this is how I register the fonts:
> >embed-file="C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\ArialUni.ttf" kerning="yes">
> >
> ></fonts>
> >
> >What happens if I omit the embed-file tag? After the PDF is created, on the
> >client machine, how will it find the right font to display the characters in
> >that case?
> >
> You will see # symbols for every character that couldn't be mapped to a
> known font. The # characters are actually generated into the PDF (as far
> as I can tell... because every PDF viewer showed the same placeholder
> character.)

Actually, omitting the embed-file tag will result in Acrobat Reader
complaining about not finding the font. FOP is not able to handle this
properly, yet.

> > With this flag, does FO include whole font in the PDF, or just a
> >subset to be able to display the Unicode characters?
> >

> Half way between those two. It will embed enough of the font to display
> all characters used in the document. That is, it does noticeably enlarge
> the PDF even if the document only contains characters from US-ASCII.
>
> A long-standing issue I have with this stuff is that on Windows, I have
> more than enough fonts to display a huge subset of Unicode, and Java
> makes use of font substitution, such that when you write, say, "猫", it
> will display it even if you've set the font to Times New Roman. But with
> PDF, if I don't have ArialUni.ttf on my machine and it wasn't embedded
> into the PDF, the PDF viewer isn't smart enough to substitute fonts. I
> think (correct me if I'm wrong) that this is more an issue with PDF,
> though, than an issue with FOP.

It's more an issue with FOP in my opinion. So let's hope for you two
that someone will eventually add this missing feature. Did I say that
the source code of FOP is available? :-)