I'm not so much into 0.20.5 these days, so without a demo file to start
from (to save time) I can only try to help you with 0.90. We do have
some problems with collapsing nbsps as you might have seen on this list
lately. What I think could work for you is to specify
block-progression-dimension.minimum="1em" on a table-row. In that case,
a row cannot collapse even if you only use a minimum <fo:block/> inside
the table-cells. Did I understand you correctly that keep-together on
the table-rows works for you as expected in 0.90? HTH

BTW, we're planning on releasing a beta version in the next few days,
hopefully this week since I want to take a week off.