Doh!!  Beginners stuff.

Should've seen that one myself.

Thanks very much Jeremias.

Jeremias Maerki wrote:
Problem solved. :-) You sent me your Java code and here's what I found:

public class Builder {

        private FOUserAgent userAgent;

        public Builder() throws Exception {
                File f = new File(".");

                DefaultConfigurationBuilder cfgBuilder = new
DefaultConfigurationBuilder();
                Configuration cfg = cfgBuilder.buildFromFile(new
File("fop.xconf"));
                FOUserAgent userAgent = new FOUserAgent();

needs to be: this.userAgent = new FOUserAgent();

                userAgent.setUserConfig(cfg);

        }

You're setting the local variable instead of the instance variable of
the class. That's why the (right) user agent never get's the
configuration.