This is a known issue documented in the release notes:
"If two consecutive pages don't have the same available width, the
content currently isn't properly fit into the available space on the new
page."
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/relnotes.html

Technical background:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/PageLayout/InfluenceOfPageSizesOnAlgorithm
For this to work, we need a first-fit algorithm for page breaking and a
reset mechanism for layout manager operating in
block-progression-direction.