Daniel Noll wrote:

David Delbecq wrote:

Increase memory allocated to java with -Xmx256m

That's an invalid solution for two reasons:

1. Customers who use our application often only have about 256MB maximum
   RAM or less, and setting more than that will cause excessive paging
   to disk.

2. We're already using -Xmx512m and FOP is *still* running out of
   memory.

This is a FAQ. Read the section on FOP Memory:

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#OutOfMemoryException

The short answer is FOP keeps an entire page-sequence in memory. You probably need to break up your text into multiple page sequences to avoid keeping the entire document in memory.

Chris