Frankly, migrating this kind of extension could be a problem. But I'm
not sure. At any rate, there's no "layout()" method anymore and the FO
tree itself had a few changes, too. If I were you I wouldn't implement
something like that as a FOP extension but as a generic, SAX-based
pre-processor which is independent of the FO processor. That would make
the thing much more versatile.