Joerg is right. It's the color profile bug. I don't even have to look at
the barcode image because it doesn't matter if there's a color profile
attached. FOP 0.92beta will add one anyway due to the bug.

Compiling FOP Trunk is very simple:
- Install a Subversion client
- Install Apache Ant
- Check out FOP
- Run "ant" from the FOP's home directory

All neatly described on the website:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/compiling.html
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/repo.html