I'd have to look up whether according to UAX#14/TR14 we would be allowed
to break between two "*" characters in the first place. Not that FOP
already implements the full rule set, yet! At any rate, I'd try to
insert a zero-width space (​) after each "*" character to allow
for breaks in between. Maybe that helps.