Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

I need to create PDF from the information contained in some Java objects. The standard way to do this according to the FOP docs, is to create XML from the objects, then transform to XSL-FO using XSLT.

Yes.  Learning XSLT (like Ant) is Time Very Well Spent.

But since there are FO DOM nodes internally in FOP, it seems to me to be a natural alternative to create these nodes directly instead of going via XML + XSLT.

I placed in such an example a few years back into our {fop-dist}/examples/ directory, back in my ultra-newbie days. It's quite hideous, but here it is: [1]. (Unfortunately, with the switch of FOP's repository from CVS to SVN, we apparently have lost this deleted file, but it remains in our CVS mailing list archives.)

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-cvs&m=106081657102191&w=2

Is this possible, and how would I go about processing the tree?

See above, but really look at these examples[2] for the XSLT & SAX-based way of processing. This will prove much easier for you.

[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/examples/embedding/java/embedding/

Glen