Title: RE: Is embedding fonts significantly slower?

Yes, I also tried it with Unicode fonts, and it takes a lot longer to generate the file. It seems like embedding fonts in general is a slow process.

melih

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Arturo PĂ©rez
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 4:57 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Is embedding fonts significantly slower?

Hi all,

Has anyone benchmarked the performance of FOP 0.92 when embedding fonts
versus not embedding fonts?  I just started doing this with the DejaVu
fonts in order to get some more Unicode glyphs and it seems a lot slower.
I could quantify this further if you think that's necessary.

I need to know in order to set expectations of the people receiving the
PDFs.  Alternatively, I could use the Unicode fonts only when I have an
unusual glyph in the text (like arrows, etc) since the documentation says
it will only embed the necessary characters from a TTF.

Or perhaps it using Unicode/CID versus Adobe-defaults/WinAnsi that's the
the cause?

any pointers appreciated.
-arturo