To: <fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:28 PM
Subject: RE: How to make "directives" look better? Customizing/defining elements and formatting...

Thanks again Jay,

I'm not currently using anything custom, just the basic set of
pre-defined DocBook elements available in the DocBook editor I'm using.
Because I am just using these basic tags, my doc looks "basic" and not
polished.  When I looked at the Apache docs I saw many element tags in
use like <directivesynopsis> which are not available to me and I
wondered where they came from and how I could make use of them to make
my doc more readable (and convert to PDF better as well.)  I have not
written any custom transforms yet.

Here's what I use to define a directive:

Example of my directive definition using basic elements:
             <caption>FTPPASVaddr</caption>

             <col align="center" span="1" />

             <thead>
                 <th>Directive</th>

                 <th>FTPPASVaddr</th>
             </thead>

             <tbody>
                 <th>Description</th>

IP
                 address to be sent on replies to <code>PASV</code>
requests.
                 You will find this useful when the Covalent Enterprise
FTP
                 Server is behind a firewall.</td>

                 <th>Syntax</th>

                 <th>Example</th>

                 <th>Context</th>

                 <th>Note</th>

                 configuration file.</td>
             </tbody>

Here's what an ASF directive definition looks like:
<directivesynopsis>
<name>BS2000Account</name>
<description>Define the non-privileged account on BS2000
machines</description>
<contextlist><context>server config</context></contextlist>
t>
<compatibility>Only available for BS2000 machines</compatibility>

<usage>
for
   BS2000 hosts only. It must be used to define the account number for
   the non-privileged apache server user (which was configured using
the
   <directive module="mpm_common">User</directive> directive). This is
   required by the BS2000 POSIX subsystem (to change the underlying
BS2000
   task environment by performing a sub-LOGON) to prevent CGI scripts
   from accessing resources of the privileged account which started the

   </note>
</usage>
<seealso><a href="../platform/ebcdic.html">Apache EBCDIC
port</a></seealso>
</directivesynopsis>

fyi my first link is to an ASF doc page, and my second link is to a
static jpg.

Thanks,
Dan