From: Chris Bowditch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:51 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ERROR] null while running FOP

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have done transformation of xml to html. I am getting desired output

> using xalan parer.
>
> No I have replace html with xsl-fo tags so that I should get pdf
output.

> 1)     Is there any site which gives the html equivalent of xsl-fo
tags?

A quick search on google revealed the html2fo project:

http://html2fo.sourceforge.net/

BTW, I believe what you are doing is not the best approach. A better
solution is to generate 2 separate XSLT stylesheets; 1 to transform your

own XML to HTML and another to tranform the XML to XSL-FO. Creating a
chain like XML->HTML->XSL-FO means some features may be lost in
translation.

> 2)     I am getting null error while parsing. I have attached xsl and
> xml files please suggests me where is the actual problem.

You dont say what version of FOP you are using?

I had a quick look at your XSLT and there is a typo in the client
template:

<xsl:template match="client">
  <fo:block>
    <xsl:value select="name"/>
    <xsl:value select="number"/>
  </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>

The <xsl:value> element doesnt exist. I believe you meant <xsl:value-of>

BTW, this is a pure XSLT problem, which you would have spotted yourself
if you ran the XSLT in a separate step before presenting FOP with the
XSL-FO. If you call FOP with an XML and XSL file then it calls xalan to
generate the XSL-FO first.

Chris