Hi Jeremias,

you are correct: RTF is a terrible format. But seems to be the only way to get
a modifiable document.  There are also tools like which convert PDF to
Word-Documents. But these tools also had the problem in correct converting PDF.
In this case I'm using DocBook to create complex documentations. With the
DocBook-Stylesheets I want to generate e.g. HTML, PDF and also an for Microsoft
Word applicable Document.

Because of Adrian's question of what RTF viewing application I'm using (I used
Microsoft Word), I used OpenOffice and hey it looks good - relativley. Only
some XSL-FO-Features are missing (I described them in my answer of Adrians
answer).

I will create a small DocBook-Document with some XSL-FO-Features which shows
the occured problems. So maybe we find a solution ;-)

Thanks a lot.
Best Regards,
Kerstin

Let me start by stating that RTF is a terrible format to begin with
(well, that's a personal opinion). Generally, it's not possible to map
every feature in XSL-FO into RTF. But then, RTF is probably also the
weakest output format in Apache FOP. I would only recommend RTF output
for relatively simple business letters where people have to do some
modifications before they are sent to the client.

I'd be interested in the use case you have to convert DocBook to RTF.

Please note that the RTF output is optimized for Microsoft Word. It will
definitely look terrible in OpenOffice.

On 28.06.2007 14:04:32 leeloo5e79-devel wrote:
> I'm using FOP 0.93 to generate e.g. PDF from DocBook-XML with
> DocBook-XSL. Everything looks fine in PDF. 71 sites are generated in
> PDF :-)))
> But the RTF-Output just looks terrible and has about 1900 !!! sites.
> Seems on every page is one line or one table row printed out. The
> content (e.g. lines) should be keep together or something else. Is
> still working on this feature or has i just configure something to make it
> work better?
>
> Thanks,
> Kerstin

Jeremias Maerki

Yahoo! Messenger -  kostenlos* mit Familie und Freunden von PC zu PC
telefonieren.