> I replace the comma with the zero width space:
> <xsl:value-of select="replace('1,2,3,4,5,6', ',' ,'&#x200B;')"/>
>
> my result is - as expected:
> <fo:block wrap-option="wrap" hyphenate="true"
> language="de">1,​2,​3,​4,​5,​6</fo:block>

No, this is not as expected. If you cut and paste your value-of
correctly, and if you are using XSLT 2.0 (1.0 would throw an error),
then your output would not include the comma's anymore.

> On the pdf output the line is wrapped, but the numbers are on top of
> each other.

Sounds like a bug to me. Can you provide a (smallest possible)
snippet of working XSL-FO and explain in natural language where the
ZWSP are supposed to be (the mailer messes them up) then we can test
it here as well.

Can you try it with normal spaces (U+20) to see what it looks like
then?

Cheers,
-- Abel