Thanks for the response.

I am trying to think of a way to still succeed.

What I want to do is to send all logging messages from anything related to
FOP to their own file.

In the logging.properties, I tried:
org.apache.fop.FileHandler = java.util.logging.FileHandler
org.apache.fop.FileHandler.pattern = logs/docgen.log
org.apache.fop.FileHandler.limit = 5000
org.apache.fop.FileHandler.formatter = java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

but that does not work.

I can say
java.util.logging.FileHandler.pattern = logs/docgenAll.log
and that will send all logging messages from any source to the file
docgenALL -
hwoever, I don't want all the messages - only ones froma class in the fop
hierarchy.

What should I do to accomplish this ?