On Jan 3, 2008, at 02:07, Tim Gates wrote:

Hi,

I have a series of problems which can be broken down into one problem in that I don't understand how to eliminate the implicit padding associated with an external graphic inside a table. If I try and create 4 images side by side then there is a gap between the top two images and the bottom two images using a variation of the basic FO below...

<fo:table table-layout="fixed" >
     <fo:table-column column-width="50mm" />
     <fo:table-column column-width="50mm" />
     <fo:table-body >
       <fo:table-row>
<fo:table-cell><fo:block><fo:external-graphic content- width="50mm" content-height="50mm" src="test.png"/></fo:block></ fo:table-cell> <fo:table-cell><fo:block><fo:external-graphic content- width="50mm" content-height="50mm" src="test.png"/></fo:block></ fo:table-cell>
       </fo:table-row>
       <fo:table-row>
<fo:table-cell><fo:block><fo:external-graphic content- width="50mm" content-height="50mm" src="test.png"/></fo:block></ fo:table-cell> <fo:table-cell><fo:block><fo:external-graphic content- width="50mm" content-height="50mm" src="test.png"/></fo:block></ fo:table-cell>
       </fo:table-row>
     </fo:table-body>
    </fo:table>
I've tried adjusting margins, space and padding and setting them to zero on pretty much every XML element (which I've removed from the above for clarity). Does anyone know how to eliminate the padding to produce the 4 images side by side without resorting to setting the images as background images?

If I remember correctly, this is a result of what is called 'half- leading', i.e. each line in a block has a leading and trailing whitespace (before and after) with an extent equal to a percentage of the line-height for the block in question.

Something like the following should work:

<fo:table line-height="0pt" ...>
etc.

Since line-height is inherited by all the table descendants, half- leading will be equal to zero for the lines generated by the cells/ blocks, and the spurious whitespace between the graphics should disappear.

HTH!

Andreas