Akagi sent me sample files off-list and that allowed me to spot a bug in
lists. Caution, this is technical (and for the record):

In the samples the tables were surrounded by list items. And the 900
penalty assigned to ugly breaks isn’t handed over by the merging
algorithm in the list code. In fact every break opportunity in
descendents of list items will be transformed into a zero penalty. This
is a bug that will need to be fixed, sooner or later.

That said, having all the content of a cell deferred to the next page
results into such an ugly output that this mechanism will very probably
be disabled in the next release, preventing such situations from
happening despite the bug in lists.

Vincent