We are open to using either AFM or TrueType fonts whichever gets the Chinese
fonts working for us.
Fortunately, I have been able to identify the root cause of the issue. FOP
processor fails to parse any ttf file which does not have the corresponding
cmap table. Heres the sample output:

TTF Reader for Apache FOP 0.94

Parsing font...
Reading fonts/Helvetica.ttf...
Unicode cmap table not present
Unsupported format: Aborting

I have been able to successfully use  <auto-detect/> for the fonts with CMAP
table but not the ones without it. Is this a bug with TTFReader?

We are sure the characters we want to show are really available in
this font as they show up when rendered with alternate APIs avaliable like
iText.