Andreas Delmelle wrote:
I'm not 100% certain, but I think using i-f-o currently means that
inserting the same SVG 1000 times would lead to 1000 separate SVG DOMs
as foreign nodes in the FO tree (?)

I think so. The advantage is that these should be reclaimed once the
page sequence ends, while the SVG used by external-graphics persists
in the image cache.
Therefore: If it is possible to break up the document in many small
page sequences (without cross references), and processing time is
not much of a concern, then using inline-foreign-object should be
an advantage, otherwise external-graphics is probably better.

In any case, I'm always amazed by the applications people find
for XSLFO in general and FOP in particular.

J.Pietschmann