On Jul 13, 2008, at 02:53, Martin Edge wrote:

Hi Martin

I notice now when generating the PCL - I additionally get these errors:

13/07/2008 10:46:06 org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile determineAscDesc WARNING: Ascender and descender together are larger than the em box. This
could
lead to a wrong baseline placement in Apache FOP.
13/07/2008 10:46:06 org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile determineAscDesc WARNING: Ascender and descender together are larger than the em box. This
could
lead to a wrong baseline placement in Apache FOP.
13/07/2008 10:46:09 org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
INFO: Adjusting end-indent based on overconstrained geometry rules for
fo:table.
 (See position 30:92)

What do these mean?

The warning messages are indicators that the TrueType font(s) in question is(are) possibly problematic when used with FOP.

I haven't really looked closer at the cause of those messages, but I get them as well when the auto-detect feature tries to create metrics for some of the (non-barcode) fonts I have installed. This could point to an issue in the TTFFileReader, which makes certain assumptions about where/how the ascender/descender values are stored in the file, and for some variants of TrueType fonts, these assumptions turn out to be incorrect... (wild guess?)

Now, the ascender/descender of the font-metrics are used by the layoutengine when determining the baseline-placement (necessary for correctly handling alignment-adjust and baseline-shift and the like), hence why the warning is shown.

Cheers

Andreas