Martin,

you will find that text rendering to PDF has improved a lot since the
last Batik release. If you remove the pdf-transcoder.jar from the
classpath and instead add FOP 0.95 (including dependencies) [1], you'll
get virtually all text rendered as text instead of shapes. Please try it
out, and if it doesn't work to your satisfaction, I'll try to get you up
to speed to make further improvements.

[1] You can also download the 0.95 or Trunk sources and build
fop-transcoder-allinone.jar yourself(generated by default) which is
basically the equivalent of pdf-transcoder.jar.